Swift + Hyperwear: Lower Body Workout
One of my new favorite pieces of equipment is this line of sandbags by Hyperwear. (Use code 'SWIFTFIT15' for 15% off!) Not only are they highly functional, they are soft, indestructible and incredibly portable! These guys are so easy to throw into your trunk and take everywhere. And because they're so completely indestructible, you never have to worry about them rolling around or giving your car a beating! They come in a variety of sizes - 2 pounds up to 50! - but I find that the 10 or 15lb weight is the perfect size if you're just looking to buy one. And for this workout, I only used one weight, but if you want to switch it up, I would suggest going heavier with the weight as the rounds increase!
Lower Body Workout
Goblet Squat Jumps - 25 REPS
1. Start by holding the weight squarely in front of your chest. The more actively you press the sandbag together, the more you will engage your shoulders and core! Make it burn!
2. Send your hips back as you sit down in your squat. Keep your weight in your heels. Focus on pressing the knees open and keeping the chest tall and up.
3. Explode upwards, extending the hips and getting tall in your jump. Remember: the height of the jump is not as important as the explosive power from the jump.
4. Make sure to land softly, immediately going into the next squat. Don't break your momentum in the squats; treat your legs like a spring, absorbing the power to send you into the next jump!
Goblet Side Lunges - 10 reps each leg
1. Take one big step to the side, sending the hips back, keeping all the weight in the lunging leg. Make sure that the lunging knee is directly over the ankle, you do not want to let that knee come forward!
2. Step back to the starting position. Perform all reps on the same leg or alternate!
Weighted Reverse Lunges + Knee Drive - 10 reps each leg
1. Place the sandbag on the shoulder of the standing leg.
2. Lunge backwards, making sure to keep your chest up tall, rotating the pelvis forward. Both legs are at 90 degrees. The reverse leg's knee is stacked directly beneath the hip; the front knee is directly over the ankle.
3. Drive the rear knee up, pausing to hold at the top, engaging your core and balancing.
4. Perform all reps on the same side before switching legs and placing sandbag on opposite shoulder.
Sprawl Squat Holds - 25 reps
1. Start standing, with the sandbag in both hands in front of your chest. Drop down to a high plank, making sure to keep your core in line with your hips.
2. Jump your feet to your hands, coming up to a low squat. Bring the sandbag up to your chest.
3. Drop back down into the high plank, again maintaining a rigid core.
Your quads and glutes are going to be burning by the end of this one! Let me know if you try it!